Having sleepless nights that lasts for more than once or thrice a week? Do you have trouble sleeping until the sun rises to wish you good morning? Many of us have encountered sleeplessness, most commonly identified as insomnia, at some point in our lives. In fact, the statistics show that around 30% to 50% of the worldwide population is suffering from this so-called illness.
Insomnia is basically difficulty in sleeping. It can be caused by inadequate sleep hours or poor quality of sleep that an individual experiences.
Although we all know how it feels and how it affects our performance if we have one sleepless night after the other. A lot of people do not seek medical help for insomnia because they are unaware of the help available. Yes- know that there is effective medical treatment for insomnia and psychological counseling and relaxation techniques for insomnia treatment. This article will help you know about them. But before that do you know what may be causing this sleeplessness?
Figure out why you are unable to sleep- the Insomnia causes
In order to properly treat insomnia, you need to turn into a sleep detective. Emotional issues such as anxiety, stress, and depression can be the cause for most of the insomnia cases. But your sleep routine, daytime habits, and physical as well as mental well-being may also play an important role.
Sometimes, insomnia can only last a few days especially when it is tied to an obvious temporary cause, such as anxiety over an upcoming performance, a disturbing breakup, or a jet lag. Other times, it is firmly persistent which may be due to an underlying mental health issue.
But all you have to do is to try to recognize the possible causes. Once you understand out the root cause, you can tailor treatment subsequently. You can learn more about insomnia causes in the link attached.
Treatment for Insomnia
- Medication: Medication for Insomnia treatment are meant to be the cornerstone of the treatment plan. They include antipsychotic drugs that help you manage the symptoms of Insomnia.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is an effective treatment for Insomnia. Negative thoughts and worries prevent you from sleeping at night, Hence cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) can be much more useful in addressing insomnia. It is a form of psychotherapy that treats problems by modifying negative emotions, thoughts, and patterns of behavior.
- Psychotherapy: Psychotherapies helps individuals to develop a healthier thinking/ thought patterns that may be counterproductive to sleep. They also help the person to understand the illness and also the various dimensions of illness.
- Individual Counseling: This plays a crucial role in treatment of Insomnia. This may help the person in normalizing their sleep patterns. Through individual counseling, you will learn to cope with anxiety and stress which may be causing insomnia.
- Relaxation techniques: Relaxation techniques and mindfulness meditation can help you focus on your breathing and how your body feels in the moment. They help you allow emotions and thoughts to come and go without any judgment, returning your focus on breath mind, and your body.
Apart from these, group therapy, spiritual counseling, physical activity, nutritional support, healthy lifestyle transformations and other factors also provide as the needed tools for treatment of Insomnia.
If you need more information about treatment of insomnia or have any queries, do mail it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or visit us at Cadabam’s Hospitals – the best psychiatric hospital in Bangalore. Alternatively, you reach us on our 24/7 helpline number- +91 97414 76476.