“Staying awake till 4am, finding an interesting article on a celebrity, then googling it to see if its true. Next
staking them on social network site, stalking their best friend, sharing a meme they liked, going to that meme's
official page, seeing if your friends have liked it, finding a video shared by a friend, watching that video then
watching the next video and finally sleeping with your laptop on.”
With the increase in the web facilities, over usage has become problematic. Internet addiction , the problematic
and over usage of internet is effecting our lives in ways we need be concerned about.
People are constantly using, are connected and are dependent to the virtual world for even the most basic need
such as buying groceries. Initially the internet was only used for tasks that were difficult to accomplish humanly
and its more of a trend, especially with the social media internet overuse has increased. Research studies have
shown that a dependent computer users use almost 35% of their time spent on the computer in Chat Rooms.
Yes, internet does make our life easier but it has adverse effects too.
Effects of internet addictions:
- Academic and professional negligence: Students overly indulging in the Internet may end up
spending majority of their time on social networking site than on doing their homework or preparing
for an exam, resulting in poor academic performance. The same can also happen in the case of an adult
who instead to finishing his/her task spends time on the internet, leading to poor productivity and
concentration and may also cause failure in their career.
- Dependency on the virtual relationship: A 2010 article in The Guardian talks about how a couple
were so indulged in their internet game of raising a virtual daughter that their negligence to their actual
daughter resulted in the death of their daughter. This may be an example of a severe case of internet
addiction but it does highlight the possible devastation. Living in the virtual world may often result in
negligence of the real world around you.
- Other psychological problems: Neglecting the real world can lead to loneliness and eventually
depression. A UK study showed a group of internet addicts among the internet users were found more
like to be depressed.
- Physical effects: Continously sitting infront of a laptop or desktop can cause severe back pain, vision
difficulties, neck pain and can make us lethargic.
- Appreciate the people and events in the real life. The above mentioned 2010 article showed how not
being in touch with the real world can effect us. So scheduling time to spend with friends and family
on a daily basis can be helpful. Or simply take a walk (without your phone) and interact with your
- Make accessing the internet a little harder such as following a strict priority list or use multiple lock
system in your laptop or desktop.
- Schedule time for using the Internet and use internet only at that time. And avoid using phones while
doing other things such as dinner, spending time with your children or when guest are around. This will
allow you to use the internet while not letting it interfer with other tasks.
- Distract yourself by engaging in a task that requires a lot of concentration.
- Mute the notifications of all the apps on your smartphone.
- Learn to differentiate between virtual and real relationships.
- Engaging in hobbies, sports and other skills that are of one’s interest such as that of painting.
Internet usage and addiction in today's world is an increasing concern. Though Internet is helpful in many aspect
but when used excessively and in a wrong way can damage lives. Beware before it overrules your lives. Seek
professional help at Cadabam’s Hospitals for assitance. Assessment test, psychotherapy such as cognitive
behavior therapy and support groups are available for treatment.