Posttraumatic stress disorder or PTSD is a mental disorder where an individual repetitively experiences distressing symptoms associated to a previously experienced trauma. These symptoms can make the individual feel out of control and negatively affect various areas of their lives.
Living with PTSD can be difficult as one cannot be certain when the symptoms may appear. Getting over a past traumatic incident can be very hard. However, there treatment options available to help overcoming PTSD:
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT): CBT used for treating PTSD is a trauma-focused one. Here it helps replacing negative thinking patterns associated to the trauma with positive thinking patterns. It also helps coping with triggers that bring the symptoms. It teaches the individual to identify these triggers and cope with them in a positive manner. As many individual suffering with PTSD tend to blame themselves, CBT helps cope with it and increase their self esteem.
- Exposure therapy: The goal of this therapy is to bring down the fear associated to the memoriesa253 and emotions of the traumatic incident. Here the individual is made to face the feelings, memories and emotions associated to the trauma by talking about it. The therapist helps the individual realize that these are not that dangerous and can be overcome.
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing: Also known as EMDR is a combination of exposure therapy and guided eye movements. Here the individual is asked to recall or talk about the traumatic experience. While doing that they are asked to look at or focus on particular things enabling eye movements such as the therapist’s hand. The goal here is to help process memories of the trauma and change reactions to them.
- Medications: There are medications such as antidepressants that are seen to help reduce symptoms of PTSD. These medications bring a change in the production of certain brain chemical. These changes later help the individual feel better by improving mood.
- Family therapy: Family therapies are also seen to help as the individual here gets support. This therapy help the individual express their feeling and experiences to the family. The family in return makes effort to understand the individual’s condition and help them cope with the symptoms. This can be very helpful as mostly it is the family who are affected by the individual’s behaviour.
Past can be hard to forget and harder if it hold a strong intense negative significance. Despite that there is still hope to get over it and lead a normal life. There are mental health professionals that are available to help via different and effective therapies. For meeting professionals call us now on +919741476476.