How effective is Family Therapy for Autism?
Family therapy is effective in helping address the emotional issues that family members face as a result of taking care of an individual with autism as well as manage other behaviours and environments that can be challenging for the autistic individual and make their behaviours worse.
What are the benefits of Family Therapy for Autism?
The benefits of family therapy for a family with an autistic individual include –
- Helping members deal with their emotional issues,
- Learning effective parenting approaches that help manage the autistic challenges,
- Help identify challenges that other members, such as siblings, could be facing as a result of tending continuously to the autistic individual,
- Help reduce strain in family relationships that otherwise increase the autistic individual’s acting out behaviours,
- Strengthen relationships between family members,
- Resolve any family conflict,
- Create a supportive environment which creates positive cycles benefitting the whole family.
How many numbers of sessions are required?
The number of sessions required depends on the unique challenges that each family with an autistic individual faces as well as their response to the sessions.