Neuro Rehab: A Second Chance at Life
Cadabam’s Neuro Rehab is regarded as one of the best neuro care programs in Bangalore with a legacy of innovation and excellence. It is a comprehensive activity-based neurorehabilitation program aiming to help patients to regain strength, mobility, confidence, and to improve quality of life after a stroke, spinal cord injury, major surgery, or other neurological disorder. If you or your loved ones need neurological rehabilitation, get in touch with us today. Our multi-specialty team of experts promises to outline tailored solutions and deliver you the finest experience.
Nervous disorders are the second leading cause of death or disability, after heart problems. The global burden of neurological disorders is believed to be roughly nine million deaths, along with over 276 million cases of disability every year. To treat people suffering from nerve injuries or nervous system diseases, experts prescribe neuro physiotherapy.
What is neurological rehabilitation?
Neuro Physiotherapy or Neuro Rehabilitation is advocated as a comprehensive activity-based neurological-rehabilitation program that helps patients regain strength, mobility, confidence, and to improve the quality of their lives after they suffer a stroke, spinal cord injury, major surgery, or any other injury damaging their nerves.
Neurological disorders or neurosurgery may cause serious implications to a patient’s mobility and motor functioning. The affected patients are disabled either partially or completely as they are diagnosed with partial or complete paralysis, muscle weakness, loss of sensation, seizures, unexplained pain, and in some cases, mild or severe cognitive impairments.
While complete recovery from neurological problems or reclaiming normal motor functioning is not possible, patients undergoing extensive neurological rehabilitation and neuro physiotherapy have access to better quality lives. Under the neuro-rehab program, the patients are constantly under the supervision of neurologists and neuro physiotherapists as the latter design treatment options are customized to help the patients regain mobility.
Conditions that can benefit from neuro rehabilitation
Grievous injuries or serious diseases can affect the nervous system’s functions. The treatment of such nervous disorders necessitates patients to opt for neuro physiotherapy that improves the quality of their lives in the long run. The physiological conditions that may benefit from neuro rehabilitation programs include:
- Vascular disorders resulting in blood clots, brain hemorrhages, and transient ischemic attacks
- Serious infections including meningitis, encephalitis, polio, and, brain abscesses
- Traumatic injuries to the brain or spinal cord
- Structural anomalies or neurological disorders including the most grievous ones like Bell palsy, cervical spondylosis, muscular dystrophy, and Guillain-Barré syndrome
- Functional problems due to headaches, frequent seizures, dizzy feelings, and neuralgia
- Degenerative nerve diseases including Alzheimer’s disease, Friedreich’s ataxia, Huntington chorea, multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, and more.
Benefits of neuro rehabilitation:
Patients suffering from one or more neurological conditions experience loss of muscular functions, weakness, less stamina, a decrease in balance, and many more physiological problems. During neuro-rehabilitation physiotherapy, the doctors help patients by working on their disorders related to movement. Besides, the therapy also helps patients regain their confidence by improving their lost mobility. Neurological physiotherapy works by targeting and enhancing movement, strength, coordination, and balance.
The benefits of a neuro physiotherapy program include:
- Enhanced balance and coordination
- Improved gait
- Optimizing the functions of affected areas
- Increasing endurance and stamina
- Enhances strength and reduces tension in affected muscles
- Reduces muscle contractions
- Encourages and optimizes independence
- Relief from pain and inflammation
- Posture correction
- Increase in range of motion for joints
- Improves cardio, especially respiratory functions
- Enhances the quality of life for stroke patients
When should you opt for neuro physiotherapy?
If you have experienced injuries like:
- Strains and sprains
- Stiffness caused post-fracture
- Frozen shoulder
- Sports injuries
- Chronic pain syndrome
- Joint pain
- Post-surgery rehabilitation
What to expect at a neuro rehabilitation or neuro physiotherapy center?
Patients looking for neuro rehabilitation have to undergo some basic procedures before they are advised of the next course of treatment. Post an appointment with a neuro physiotherapist, patients are required to:
- Undergo a physical evaluation and examination, which will include various tests and a health history evaluation. The therapist will also check your posture, flexibility, and movement.
- Receive a clinical diagnosis, prognosis, treatment plan, along with short and long-term goals.
- Receive physical therapy advice based on evaluation and diagnosis
- Recommendations on how to manage themselves
What to expect from your neuro rehabilitation team?
To effectively conduct a neuro-rehab or neuro physiotherapy program, health facilities must have people with cross-functional medical experience. You will find the following members and specialists in your neuro rehabilitation team.
- Rehab specialists
- Physical trainers
When should I consider Neurorehab?
Our Nervous System consists of two major divisions – the CNS (Central Nervous System), and the PNS (Peripheral Nervous system). Sometimes, due to an internal or external injury, the nerves are damaged. Conditions like Trauma, Infections, Degeneration, Structural defects, Tumors, Blood flow disruption, and/or Autoimmune disorders might cause neurological problems.
Below are the signs and symptoms of nervous system disorders, which you should consider as a red flag and visit your nearest Neuro Specialist –
- Persistent or sudden onset of a headache
- A headache that changes or is different
- Loss of feeling or tingling
- Weakness or loss of muscle strength
- Loss of sight or double vision
- Memory loss
- Impaired mental ability
- Lack of coordination
- Muscle rigidity
- Tremors and seizures
- Back pain that radiates to the feet, toes, or other parts of the body
- Muscle wasting and slurred speech
- New language impairment (expression or comprehension)
Emotional symptoms of Neurological problems might include – mood swings or sudden outbursts, depression, delusions, etc.
It should be noted that these symptoms could also be indicative of other disorders and conditions. If you notice such symptoms in yourself or someone close to you, do seek help right away. Please contact Cadabams Hospitals Neuro Rehab to speak to someone about your situation.
Why Choose Cadabams Neuro Rehabilitation Program?
Cadabam’s Neurorehabilitation Center treats structural defects, degenerative diseases, tumors, infections, injuries, and issues that affect the nervous system. Therapists actively involve their patients in the treatment process so that they see quick results. Some of the conditions that are treated at the neuro-rehabilitation center include:
- Infections like polio, brain abscesses, meningitis, and encephalitis.
- Vascular disorders like ischemic strokes caused due to blood clots in the brain, strokes caused due to bleeding in the brain, and subdural hematoma.
- Trauma caused to the spine and brain
- Functional issues like seizures, headaches, dizziness, etc.
- Degenerative disorders like Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis, and Huntington chorea.
Cadabam’s Hospitals is one of the top neuro rehabilitation hospitals in Bangalore with a world-class infrastructure. It boasts of advanced treatment options along with wellness approaches for holistic living.
We treat our patients with a holistic integrated approach of neuro physiotherapy via evidence-based exercise techniques like PNF, Bobath, Brunnstrom, sensory integration, motor relearning program, and NDT. We also use top of the line rehabilitation aids such as PEMF, FES, and supported ambulatory system.
Cadabam’s Neuro Care Plan and Rehab are designed by experienced veteran neuro physiotherapists in consultation with the top neuro physicians in Bangalore supported by our well-equipped physiotherapy department.
Salient Features of Cadabams neuro rehabilitation programs:
- Exhaustive neuro rehab assessment
- IP facility supported by nursing care
- Integrated home rehabilitation team
- Psychological support
- FDA cleared equipment for rehabilitation
What makes our Neuro Rehab program so effective?
Many treatment options are offered to a patient, depending on their condition. Cadabam’s holds the reputation of being the best neurosurgery hospital in Bangalore with a history of positive treatment outcomes even for the most complex cases.
Here is why our Neuro Rehab treatment is considered the best in India:
- Attendant physiatrists: We have In-house top Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) physicians to treat various medical conditions affecting the brain, spinal cord, nerves, bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, and tendons.
- Consulting clinical psychologist/neuropsychologists: Neurological disorders are often devastating for patients, their families, and caretakers as well. A clinical psychologist helps identify the problem areas and provides counseling and guidance for better coping strategies.
Our neuropsychologists are available 24×7, help in complete cognitive rehabilitation, and advise stress reduction techniques through various therapies and counseling methods. Our team does its best to enhance the psychological well-being of the patient.
- Rehabilitation occupational therapy: Occupational therapy for neurological disorders deals with the functional independence of the patient. Therapists help and train the patient in self-care activities like eating, bathing, dressing, etc. Occupational therapists also work on social and behavioral skills retraining.
- Speech therapy: Speech-language pathologists or speech therapists treat patients dealing with phonation, articulation, fluency, resonance, voice, and cognitive skills. They also focus on language development like comprehension and expression in oral, written, graphics, and signs. This therapy is often required for patients recovering from a stroke or brain hemorrhage.
- Physiotherapy: Cadabam’s team of experienced neuro physiotherapists help patients suffering from pain or loss of muscle strength, range of motion, balance, or coordination. They also help in pulmonary rehabilitation including breathing exercises to reduce fatigue and keep lungs clear.
- Remediation treatments: This treatment method can help restore lost skills through special exercise regimens that are repetitive and help regain motility.
- Compensatory treatments: This treatment can help with using intact skills to make up for all the deficits in other areas
- Psycho-education: This ensures that the patient and their families are aware and understand the patient’s condition and sets reasonable expectations for recovery.
- Cognitive treatments: Some parts of the brain can also repurpose themselves to take over the significant functions of the damaged area. This can be done through retraining of the brain to react to stimuli. This is useful to regain functionality after the injury.
Approaches used during rehabilitation
Many approaches can be followed in a neurological rehabilitation center, along with various techniques. A combination of these approaches produces a personalized plan which meets the goals of the patient. Some of the significant approaches are:
- Bobath Approach: It is used to improve functional movement. It relies on practicing movement patterns and is launched as a step by step with the facilitation process that is initiated by a physiotherapist.
- Brunnstrom Approach: Here the patients will have to focus on functional movements, and it uses combinations of stimuli to elicit muscular movements.
- Carr and Shepherd Approach: This approach is used for enhancing functional movements which involve practicing the functional movements, as a whole process. This means that the patient cannot rely on just correctly performing the movements, but they have to keep rehearsing them repetitively to achieve the desired result.
- Mobility Rehabilitation: This approach for neurology treatment includes developing a method that allows the patient to move around independently and safely. This also includes various balance exercises that will ensure that you are completely safe and on your feet.
- Contracture Management Approach: This treatment approach looks at releasing tension in tight muscles. It includes splinting, casting, and tilt tabling.
Our other treatment modalities
- Partial weight supported
- Treadmill training
- IRR treatment
- Diet and nutrition
- Interferential Therapy (IFT)
- Ultrasound Therapy (UST)
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
- Electrical stimulation
- Vacuum therapy
- Pain management
- Pulsed Electro-Magnetic Field (PEMF)
- TILT Table (For Postural Training)
- Hand and foot gym
Get help for neurological issues
Regardless of how long you have suffered, it is important to know that with professional medical treatment, it is possible to overcome neurological disorders. The key is to carefully choose a treatment facility that specializes in neurological problems and treatments.
Cadabam’s Neuro Rehab deals with all kinds of post-surgery trauma, after-effects of neuro disorders with top specialists in Neurological Physiotherapy, Rehabilitation Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy with excellent patient outcomes.
> What is a neuro rehab treatment plan?
A typical neuro-rehabilitation treatment plan is designed to meet the needs of each patient. This means that there are no one-size-fits-all plans. The treatment is formulated based on the patient’s condition or disease. A neuro-rehab includes the active involvement of you and your loved ones, this is crucial for a successful recovery.
Neurorehabilitation has one goal, and that is to help you return to the highest functioning levels and make you as independent as possible. A neuro specialist in Bangalore will create a treatment plan that will help you physically, emotionally, and socially.
> What is the role of a neuro specialist?
What is the role of a neuro specialist?:
- Helping with daily routine activities like eating, personal hygiene, cooking, basic cleaning, getting dressed, and so on.
- Speech therapy is an important aspect of neurorehabilitation. It will help the patient with speaking, writing, reading, and swallowing.
- Anxiety, stress, and depression management.
- Retraining the bowel and bladder.
- Exercises that will enhance mobility, muscle control, walking, and balance.
- Active programs which will help improve movement, decrease or prevent any weaknesses that are caused due to muscle atrophy, manage spasms and pain, and increase the range of motion.
- Obtaining assistive procedures that will help the patient gain independence.
- Counseling and education
- Independent and safe home care needs and plans
- Effective pain management
- Emotional support and stress management
- Nutritional and vocational counseling
> What will happen on your first visit to a neuro rehab?
Once you go to a neuro rehab, your initial assessment will be done by a physiotherapist. They will ask for your information like medical history, recent condition, allergies, and your current medication plan. Some centers will ask for the information before the first meeting. This is done so that they can prepare in the best way and have your treatment plan ready. You can bring a loved one, for support, if you want.
Services Managed by