How effective is CBT for Addiction?
CBT is effective in helping an individual change their negative thoughts, feelings, and behaviours associated with their addiction behaviour and replace them with healthy ones, as well as in identifying and learning to manage triggers, thereby maintain sobriety.
What are the benefits of CBT for Addiction?
CBT can benefit an individual with addiction in various ways –
- Treat mental health conditions that lead to an individual’s addiction such as depression,
- Teach ways to cope with negative emotions such as fear, guilt, anger, or anxiety that individuals may substances to cope with,
- Enhance emotional regulation skills and the motivation to change,
- Identify and replace negative self-defeating thoughts and behaviours with healthy ones,
- Develop plans to cope with triggering situations that could lead to substance use.
How many numbers of sessions are required?
The number of CBT sessions required differs for each individual with addiction.