How effective is Family Therapy for PTSD?
Family therapy is effective in helping the family members of the PTSD patient understand their symptoms, enhance communication and relationships, help deal with difficult, negative emotions, and support and aid the recovery process of the PTSD patient.
What are the benefits of Family Therapy for PTSD?
The benefits of family therapy for PTSD include –
- Psycho-educating the family members regarding PTSD, its symptoms and recovery process.
- Helping each member express their concerns and feelings.
- Helping family members learn to cope with difficult emotions – their own as well as those of their loved one with PTSD.
- Helping family members become a support system for their loved one with PTSD.
- Helping members understand how each person can be impacted by or process the trauma differently.
- Help family members think about how they want to address the traumatic event with people outside of their family.
How many numbers of sessions are required?
The number of sessions differs from family-to-family depending on the unique challenges faced by the family members and how many sessions they require for addressing them.