Table of Content
Do you suspect that your few of your employees drink at the office? Or has your employees’ performance drops? Or is there a messy environment at your organization?
Well. Here are few things that you should know about workplace drug and alcohol abuse, and way to detect and prevent it.
Many organizations are noted for abuse of substance in the workplace. The employees might use alcohol, any prescribed drugs or any illegal drugs; this habit can be hidden within the country for long period. However, the substance user’s actions, performance eventually declines. Identifying the employees who abuse substance in the workplace is very important, to stop ill-fated dominos effect. Anyway, there are drug prevention policies in the company to rule out the infected personnel and to maintain a healthy work environment.
There are few concerns due to the substance user like these employees tend to be less safe than others, they are prone to workplace accidents, leaking of confidential details or top secrets of the company and its clients, or else mere laziness will drop the efficiency of the work. These people tend to display carelessness, cause damage to property or people, or use of abusive words.
How do you detect drug abusing employees?
Generally, we can spot the substance abusing employees by their appearance, behavior, and performance. There is a red flag for performance - inconsistent quality of work, signals of fatigue, slow and dull workplace, and few might often fall sick or tend to seek frequent leaves, lack of interest or over interest in work are also to be considered. Yes, behavior and appearance do matters. These substance users may look sloppy and unkempt, would have slurred speech and dilated pupils, or even smell drugs or alcohol in their breath. The above mentioned can be accompanied with the other symptoms of drug abuse such as irritability, violent behavior, suspiciousness, depression.
How to control this scenario?
Here are few things that can address and end the substance abuse in the workplace-
- The policies for the substance abuse in the workplace must be explained in the standards of the organization and how the organization will treat these types of employees.
- There should be written policy statements, which the employee and the employers are aware of.
- There can be a pre-employment drug test and during employment drug test- which can be a screening drug test and these are explained to the employees well in advance.
- These policies state the violation of rules and the respective consequences like salary deduction, or even termination.
- Training to the supervisors- supervisors are well aware of the company’s policies, observes and confronting unsatisfactory job performance of the workers.
- Organisations can provide psychological counseling services to the employees, not only for drug abuse rather for overall well-being.
Another important thing is educating the employees, like provide ill effects of the substance abusers on health, how it affects a person’s personal and professional life, how an active drug user can seek help and be successful in his career. You can plan for workshops and other awareness programmes and provide employee assistance programme (EAP).
Dealing with workplace substance abuse is an ongoing task, and bit challenging for the very company to practically apply. However, most of the organization tries their level best. These kinds of extended programmes save career, families, and life. If these tips don't help or if you need additional guidance, to address your concern and to seek help take an appointment with our professionals call: - +91-96111 94949.
How Cadabam's Help you for Addiction?
- 410+ Professional Consultants
- 1,00,00+ Happy Faces
- 120+ Currently Seeking Treatments