Table of Content
Bhang addiction is extremely common in the country, yet we seldom understand how harmful it can be and the extent of it. Made from a psychoactive drug called Cannabis, bhang can be addictive. Cadabams, India’s most trusted mental health care institution offers comprehensive and customised treatment plans for Bhang addiction.
We understand that any type of addiction impacts not just the individual but also the entire family. Our family therapy and caregiver therapy help family members become an active part of recovery. Reach out to us on our 24/7 helpline number- +91 97414 76476 for more details.
What is Bhang?
Bhang is an edible paste prepared from the leaves of the Cannabis sativa plant. In India, Bhang has been consumed for thousands of years and is a common part of the Hindu religious practices and festivals, especially during the festival of Holi.
Although Cannabis is considered to be illegal in most parts of India, the law permits the sale and consumption of bhang. However, the consumption of parts of the plant other than the leaves can lead to a penalty and a year in prison.
A common way in which bhang is consumed is by blending it with curd and whey to make a beverage called “bhang lassi”. It can also be used to make sweets.
For most of the people in India, Holi is incomplete without Bhang. So, we simply call it the festival of 'Rang Aur bhang' in Hindi. But there is something beyond you should know about what is Bhang actually is, what it does to you, and how it can lead to an addiction.
Is Bhang Addictive?
Bhang is the preparation made from the Cannabis sativa plant, which is usually used in the food and drinks during Holi. Though many say it's okay to have bhang and that it is safe, it isn’t exactly true. Bhang does have some hallucinogenic, physical as well as psychological effects on the mind and body. Bhang overdose can also lead to Bhang addiction.
Bhang is addictive and its overdose can cause a number of difficulties and bhang side effects. In order to overcome that, you need to get effective Bhang side effects treatment. But, how will you know whether or not you are addicted to it? Check for these symptoms.
What Are the Symptoms of Bhang Addiction?
The symptoms of bhang addiction that you need to look out for in yourself or your loved one include the following:
- Red or Bloodshot eyes
- A constant mucus-filled cough
- Dry mouth
- Rapid heartbeat
- Poor memory and concentration
- Loss of control
- Poor decision-making skills and coordination
What makes bhang (so) addictive?
There are hundreds of chemicals present in the leaves and flowers of the cannabis plant from which bhang is made. The component that makes one “high” is delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol or THC. This chemical compound is responsible for making cannabis-based products like bhang addictive.
When THC enters the bloodstream, it binds itself to the cannabinoid receptors, causing the brain to release the feel-good chemical, dopamine. These feelings of pleasure and reward cause the individual to indulge in the activity again and the individual keeps anticipating for more pleasure and reward through bhang. This eventually leads to bhang addiction.
This mechanism can be seen in other normal behaviours as well, such as listening to music and being creative, but they eventually fade out. However, with THC, the association built with the pleasure of bhang can be so strong that any other recreational activity or hobby won’t be able to provide the dopamine release that the individual craves. That’s when the vicious side effects of bhang addiction can show up.
Bhang can have a number of effects on the body. Below listed are a few of them.
Bhang Side Effects: Why It’s Bad
- Change in the perception, due to a small hallucinogenic effect that can create a distorted illusion of space and time
- Change in the mood, leading to feelings of low energy, euphoria, or a state of relaxation
- Higher heart rate
- A reduction in blood pressure
- Cognitive impairment of memory and concentration
- Reduced psychomotor coordination
- Feeling of nausea
- An increase in appetite
- Sleep issues such as Insomnia
Are you looking for Bhang Addiction treatment? Call us to book an appointment with our counsellor or mental health professional.
Treatments for Bhang Addiction: How to Find Lasting Relief
The treatment for bhang addiction begins by helping and supporting the individual to cut down on the consumption at a pace decided by the doctor. The addiction treatment procedure will depend on the rate of consumption, the length of time for which it was consumed, as well as any other medical and health issues that the individual might have.
Generally, medication like anti-anxiety drugs is prescribed to ease the process and reduce withdrawal symptoms. Medications for Bhang addiction treatment can play a role in a successful recovery, but they cannot be used alone. The most effective substance abuse treatment programs will use drug abuse preventative medication as well as several types of counselling and therapy. Medication can make treatment more successful when combined with the right types of counselling.
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is an effective treatment method that helps the individual to manage their thinking patterns, essentially controlling their negative thought behaviours that may lead to drug abuse.
- Motivational enhancement therapy (MET) is often used in Bhang addiction treatment. Usually, a therapist helps the person to improve their motivation to resist the use of drugs.
- In addition to these, recovering individuals benefit from family therapy. Since the family members often serve as a core support system for people once they exit a rehabilitation centre, it’s important that family people understand the recovery process of individuals so that they can serve as the best source of support.
- Group Therapy helps the person with addiction behaviour to learn and share their emotions with other peers who have similar problems.
- Individual therapy is a solution-oriented approach that focuses on helping the person maintain abstinence from drug abuse. Individual counselling is essential for success, and this should be provided several times a week.
- To prevent the individual from relapse after recovery, a set of relapse prevention tools and techniques are provided that can help them fight and prevent from getting back to their addiction habit after a recovery process.
At Cadabams, we ensure that you get the treatment you need and deserve. Our team of psychiatrists is expert in the treatment modalities used for bhang addiction. Our multispecialty team of psychiatrists, psychologists, counsellors, physicians work round the clock and are with you every step of the way. We offer world-class evidence-based treatment that is fit for all stages and all types of addiction.
Cadabams is widely trusted by various healthcare experts to help addiction relief with care and love. It is a comfortable facility where individuals are treated with attention, love, care, and concern. We offer an exclusive range of solutions and treatments based on the condition and issues faced by an individual.
To know more about bhang addiction or have any queries please do send it to email@example.com or visit Cadabam’s Hospitals. You can alternatively call us at our 24/7 helpline number- +91 97414 76476
Disclaimer – We strive to treat our patients with dignity and the utmost sensitivity. We understand that addiction is a disease and that it is not a sign of weakness. The term alcoholic or alcoholism is used not in a derogatory fashion but to remain relevant to user search trends and common usage. In case you or your loved ones are struggling with bhang addiction and share a unique viewpoint on how we can improve this content for our readers, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAQs About Bhang Addiction
- What are the side effects of bhang?
This prevalent belief that bhang is safe to consume is incorrect and flawed. It can cause many side-effects, including a higher pulse rate, lower blood pressure, nausea, and more. To that, there are specific groups that are recommended to avoid consuming bhang; like people with diabetes, heart disease, depression, allergies, weak immune system, and more.
- How long does bhang high last?
It varies from one individual to another. In general, the effect of bhang peaks anywhere between 2 and 3 hours. And the high can last between 4 and 12 hours.
- Can bhang affect mental health?
Yes, bhang affects mental health. And if you get addicted to it, the risks of developing mental illness increases. It can be the cause of depression, anxiety, mood disorder, sleep disorder, psychosis, and other mental health problems.
- Does psychotherapy help with bhang addiction?
Yes, psychotherapy is one of the recommended treatments for bhang addiction. The professional can rely on cognitive behavioural therapy, motivational enhancement therapy, individual therapy, or/and group therapy to help individuals recover from their bhang addiction and prevent relapse.