Table of Content
Behavioral disorders encompass a pattern of disruptive behaviors in children that persist for a minimum period of six months and cause serious issues at home, school, and social situations. And if this issue is left untreated, it can cause further issues in adult life, impacting personal and professional relationships. Identifying the symptoms of the behavioral disorders at an early stage and the right parental and professional support can help in managing behavioral issues.
When it comes to selecting the right medical assistance, Cadabam’s Hospital is one of the best centers, which extends a wide range of psychiatric and neurology services, including treatment for behavioral disorders in kids. After a thorough evaluation, the team uses its expertise to design a comprehensive and holistic treatment plan.
With an experienced team of family therapists, psychotherapists, psychiatrists, counselors, and physicians, you can rest assured of getting the most reliable care. To know more about treatment for behavioral disorders in children and adolescents, book an appointment by calling +919741476476 or emailing the team at email@example.com.
Types of Child Behavior Problems
Following are the types of child behavior disorders -
Oppositional Deficit Disorder
Oppositional deficit disorder or ODD is characterized by a very angry and irritable mood and argumentative behavior. If this is persistent for at least six months, then the child can be diagnosed with ODD. The symptoms are the following:
- Frequently losing temper
- Gets annoyed easily
- Is often resentful and angry
- Often arguing with people in authority
- Does not listen or comply with any requests
- Blames others for their own mistakes
- Often tends to annoy others
- Often being spiteful.
Conduct disorder or CD is characterized by a behavior pattern wherein the child tends to violate others’ rights, hurt animals, and destroy property. This disorder can cause serious issues as the child here may indulge in criminal activities. The symptoms are the following:
- Often threatens and bullies others.
- Often gets involved or initiates fights.
- Possesses weapon that can seriously harm others
- Being cruel to animals
- Indulge in stealing
- Lies to gain favors
- They are deliberately destroying things that belong to others.
- A tendency of running away from home
- Staying out all night despite restrictions and prohibitions from parents.
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or ADHD is characterized by a pattern of inattention, hyperactive and impulsive behavior. Here the child may appear extremely energetic, and this tends to interfere with the normal development of the child. The symptoms are the following:
- Difficulty in staying focused on one task
- Finding it hard to stay in one place for a long time
- Failing to complete a task due to lack of concentration
- Often tends to lose things
- Is forgetful of the common tasks
- Always fidgeting or shaking hand or legs
- Unable to relax and stay calm
- Often tend to interrupt others when talking to doing a task
- Tends to get involved in activities without thinking of the consequences.
What Are The Causes Of Behavioral Disorder In Kids?
There are different causes linked with problem behavior. Primarily, it is because of any traumatic life events or stressful situations. People might have struggled with poverty, family conflict, loss of death, or feel anxiety. Moreover, aging can cause dementia, which can impact an individual’s behavior. Some of the common causes of the behavioral disorder in children include –
- Bipolar disorder
- Anxiety disorder
- Conduct disorder
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Oppositional defiant disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Postpartum depression
- Substance abuse
What Are The Treatment Options Of Behavioral Disorder in Children?
Treatments of behavioral disorder in kids are categorized into two types –
Behavioral therapy is performed in two forms psychotherapy and parent management training. Psychotherapy focuses on relieving patients from negative thought patterns and allowing them to return back to normalcy gradually. Parent management training has been used in children who are at the early stage of the illness. This therapy can be effective in managing behavioral disorders. Therapy can assist alter how a family functions and help the members in figuring out the best approach to handle the situation.
Medications are prescribed for treating the co-occurring or underlying disorders such as anxiety, depression, attention, deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Why Cadabam’s Hospitals?
Cadabam’s have been providing quality treatment for behavioral disorders for over three decades. The mental healthcare center has a dedicated team of psychiatrists, psychotherapists, family therapists, counselors, and physicians that together work with patients to provide comprehensive and personalized treatment for behavioral disorders. If you’re looking for treatment for behavioral disorders in children, connect with us today. Book an appointment. Call the team at +919741476476 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Frequently Asked Questions
How to help a child with a behavioral disorder?
Family members play a significant role in helping a child overcome the behavioral disorder. Some of the things that they can do include –
- Have an open conversation with your child
- Be educated about what your child is experiencing
- Create a positive environment for your kid
- Appreciate your kids for their little efforts
- Be consistent with your approach, even if initially you do not get the desired results
What foods can cause behavioral disorders?
Some research suggests that the following food items can trigger behavioral disorder –
- Food with a high salicylate concentration
What is the most common type of behavioral disorder?
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or ADHD is among the most common behavior issues seen among children and adults.
What is the difference between behavioral and mental health?
Behavioral health focuses on behaviors that impact the well-being of an individual. On the other hand, mental health is essentially concerned with one’s state of being.