Table of Content
Did you know that having trouble sleeping can be a sleep disorder? Yes you read that right! Do you or your loved one have difficulty to stay asleep or fall asleep through the night? Do you feel sleepy during the day or feeling tired while you wake up even though you have had enough of sleep? Check for you might be having a sleep disorder.
Sleep helps our mind and body to relax and repair to get ready and energized to tackle with the busy work. But, do you know for some people suffering from sleep difficulties tend to deal with strange things during sleep or during the day? These things can be terrifying for the ones who are dealing with the disorder, sometimes worst and deadly.
Here is a look at the most common types of sleep disorders in adults-
Sleep Disorders in adults- Types
- Insomnia- If you are facing trouble in staying or falling asleep or sometimes both as a result, then you are suffering from the common sleep disorder called as Insomnia. As a result of this, the sufferers tend to have poor-quality sleep or gets too little sleep. He or she may not feel recharged when they wake up. An adult dealing with insomnia may have the following symptoms-
- Stay awake for a long period of time before falling asleep
- Taking short naps
- Being awake for whole of the night
- Feeling like they haven't slept at all
- Wake up too early
When your loved one's sleep is intruded throughout the night, they seem to look drowsy during the day. It is better to help them get diagnosed with a mental health professional for treatment.
- Sleep apnea- Have you ever gone through breathing issues which had last from a few seconds to few minutes when you were in a deep sleep? Then it is a reminder that you are suffering from sleep apnea. Yes, this is one among the common sleep disorders which cause breathing difficulties during sleep.The following signs show that you or your loved one may have sleep apnea-
- Breathing cessation episodes during sleep
- Snoring loudly
- Shortness of breath with sudden awakenings
- A headache in the mornings
People suffering from sleep apnea are at a higher risk for work-related accidents, car crashes, and also other medical problems. If you or someone you know has it, it is the primary thing to get treatment.
- Hypersomnia- People dealing with hypersomnia fall asleep at any time; take for instance, while driving or at work. This excessive sleepiness person causes a person to have difficulty being awake during the day. They also have sleep-related problems which include trouble in thinking or lack of energy.
As per the research of National Sleep Foundation, it is known that 40% of the people have symptoms of hypersomnia disorder from time to time.
The indications of hypersomnia sleep disorder in adults are-
- Low energy
- Loss of appetite
- Slow thinking capability or lack of speech
- Difficulty in remembering
- Feeling of restlessness
Know the Causes of Sleep Disorders in Adults
The nightmares, sleepwalking, night terrors, sleep talking, wetting the bed, head banging, or even grinding your teeth are the kinds of sleep difficulties. Before you get these know the thing which is causing it-
- Sleep deprivation issues
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- Being overweight
- A neurological disorder or a head injury
- Prescription medications
- Anxiety or depression
- Genetics- having a relative diagnosed with sleep disorders.
Adults with sleep disorders can get through sleep troubles with the right and proper lifestyle changes. Also, medications can help in such conditions. However, few of them may never get that full relief. This isn’t a life-threatening situation but yes it may lay a bad impact on the quality of life.
Treatment for the sleep disorders varies depending on the underlying cause and the type of disorder. However, it normally includes a combination of medical treatments and lifestyle changes. In worst cases, it is advisable you get diagnosed from a good psychiatrist or a psychologist .
Visit www.cadabamshospitals.com to know more about the sleep disorders in adults and their effects and treatment. You can also call us @+91 9741476476 to get an appointment for the same with our best psychiatrist and psychologist to know about effective treatment options. Do not let your early morning headaches caused by sleep disorders take away your quality of life. Seek help right away!